Friday, April 25, 2008

Down Time in the Desert



I am remarkably overdue in creating a new post. This is due to the fact that I finally was able to steal away and leave the regular realities of home behind for a few days. After bathing in red desert sand for six days, I'm feeling a bit more centered, calm, and refreshed. Some of this sand came in the form of a sand shower--that is when the wind blows so hard, the very finest sand penetrates every fabric possible (including metal), and scours away the surfaces of skin, hair, teeth, and eyes and you are left feeling as though you visited a fine spa for a whole body scrub, only you didn't have to pay anything at all. And the sand doesn't come off when you're done. However, given that when the wind slowed to a minor squall, and we could hear eachother talk again, it seemed that the coating of sand was just another fine aspect of camping in the desert. After a couple days, you don't even notice it in your drinks and in your food!

Regardless, I've been busily trying to catch up to all that needs tending to, and this blog is one of those things.

I had to jump right back into the training fire this week, especially since I've signed myself up for the grueling Atomic Man Duathlon's Fat Man Course. Ack!! It sounded good three weeks ago when I was feeling very good about my training schedule, but now with nearly two weeks off save for a couple beautiful mountain bike rides, a short desert run, and ZERO time on the road bike, I'm feeling a bit nervous about my whole choice of endeavors.

Plus, thinking I would have some time to ride the long lonely road into Canyonlands while on vacation, my poor road bike endured the sand showers as well, and is likely containing an abnormal amount of sand in places it should not be.

It is quite likely that after Sunday's race, I'll be in dire need of some of the following topical preparations!

EXTERNAL HERBAL PREPARATIONS
There are a variety of commercial liniments that are extremely effective in relieving sore aching muscles, strains, and bruises:

Po Sum On Oil
Zheng Gu Shui Liniment
Tiger Balm salves, liquids, and oils
Dit Dat Jiao Liniment

Other non-Chinese preparations include:
Arnica gel or spray
Traumeel Cream
Alcis Cream

Topracin Cream

Ginger Compress
Our kitchens often contain all we need to heal ourselves. An easy compress to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and warm cold or painful joints is a ginger compress:

Grate a 2-inch chunk of fresh ginger into 2 C hot water. Cover and let stand until the water turns yellow, or about 5 minutes. Soak a towel in the tea and wring out gently so that the towel is still saturated, but not dripping. Apply to the affected area, cover the wet towel with a dry towel, and place a heating pad or hot water bottle over the top towel. Repeat as many times as needed.

Mustard Plaster
This is a pain relieving plaster, it increases circulation, and reduces swelling.

½ Cup ground mustard seed combined with just enough water to make a thick sticky goo. Spread a fairly thick layer over painful area and cover with a warm damp towel. Allow to set on skin just until you start to feel it burn and then remove the plaster using warm water and soap. Don’t leave on too long, as blisters will form!

OTHER
Homeopathic Remedies and Flower Essences can be very useful if injured. I highly recommend keeping on hand the following preparations:

Arnica 30c—Indicated for Sprains, strains, bruises, trauma. Extremely effective when taken immediately after any kind of accident, trauma, or contusion. Speeds recovery times.
Ruta grav 30c – Indicated for sprains, broken bones, and trauma. Especially useful for more chronic conditions like sprains that are difficult to heal.


1 comment:

Jimbo said...

Glad to see you out blogging. If you let me know your bib number in the Atomic Man or your general attire (please use the email link on my blog for this), I'll search my photo files to see if I got a decent photo of you. I know I captured your significant other. Now if you'll excuse me, my catsup and mustard plaster awaits.