Friday, January 11, 2013

Designing New Endeavors

2012 was a truly unique year.  The year began with no expectations. I made no New Year's resolutions and I made no plans for any tangible goals. That was unusual for me, as I usually relish goal-making, and enjoy the thought-process required to consider the types of goals I might work towards accomplishing. For whatever reason, I began 2012 without a clear plan for my year.

As usual, the days and weeks ticked quickly by, and I found myself in the month of April.  For several weeks, I'd felt a strange undercurrent in my life.  I had this sense that change needed to happen. That change was going to happen. That I had the ability to take charge of this change, before change took charge of me.  I have already written about this "awakening," so I'll leave it at that, for now.

Quickly, I found myself on a new track. I was losing weight effortlessly. I had eliminated a 20-year habit. I was learning new things, that in many ways, were tied to the things I already had experience with. I began studying epigenetics, which may explain why many people gain weight as they get older, despite a whole foods diet and exercise. I began learning about the endocrine system, which I have taken for granted, and knew very little about. I started reading about circadian rhythms and how they are both impacted by and impact the endocrine system.  I also began practicing cold thermogenesis (CT), and learning about therapeutic uses of CT for athletes, illness, obesity, and hormone imbalance.

As often happens, when I started focusing my own learning lens on specific topics, those topics seemed to be intertwined in everything. The Journal of the American Herbalists Guild published an article about using circadian rhythms to effectively administer herbs for specific illnesses, such as cancer. Articles about CT seemed to flood the web. Pregnancy and birth sites seemed saturated with information about the importance of labor hormones on a newborn and the mother. Everything seemed to be tying together into a neat, tidy web of information.  I was giddy with knowledge and full of inspiration.

During May, I started journaling with regularity.  I used to be an avid journaler, filling up notebooks, journals, and binders full of my mental chatter, insight, and dreams.  Years had passed, however, since I religiously utilized my pen and paper to document my life, my experiences, and my aspirations.  Prior to beginning to journal regularly, I had read a quick fable, The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari. This easy-to-read story about a high-end lawyer who nearly dies from his wealthy lifestyle, disappears to the Himalaya, and returns a changed man, spoke to me in some very simple ways.  Primarily, it reminded me that I am still not doing what I want to be doing.  That my life is passing me by, and I've yet to pursue my real passions. This alone had a profound impact on me.

There I was, 40, wondering what I want to do when I grow up.


Journaling, meditation, mindful hiking, and swimming are all helping to guide me towards my new endeavors.

As a result, I've modified this blog to more accurately reflect my motivations and my services.

I will continue to lead herbal classes through the Pajarito Environmental Education Center, and my next one will be the fun and tantalizing Herbal Cordials for Your Valentine class, on February 6.

I am excited to bring this blog back to life!






No comments: